Did you know?
Why embark on an excursion to the Gornergrat?
- Most stunning views of the world-renowned Matterhorn (4487 metres a.s.l.)
- Highest open-air rack railway in Europe (3,089 metres a.s.l.)
- First electrical rack railway in Switzerland since 1898, the second in the world
How do I get to the Gornergrat?
- Valley station only 50 metres from Zermatt station of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn
- Open 365 days a year
- High-season trains every 24 minutes from 07.00 – 19.00 hrs
- Reachable in only 33 minutes without transfers
- Full seating with opening windows
Where is the Gornergrat / Zermatt?
- The mighty Matterhorn with the year-round resort of Zermatt at its feet can be found in the heart of the Swiss Alps
- Every 30 minutes from Visp to Zermatt (66 minutes travel time) with the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn
- Every 20 minutes from parking (car+bus) in Täsch to Zermatt (12 minutes travel time) with the Zermatt shuttle train
What will I do on the Gornergrat?
- Marvel... experience ... enjoy….
- Year-round viewing platform at 3131 metres above sea level.
- View of 29 four-thousand-metre peaks out of a total of 48 in Switzerland Matterhorn PhotoShop (re-enacted Matterhorn photos)
- 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat, the highest Swiss Alps kiosk hotel, self-service, dining restaurant
- Europe's highest shopping mall (watches, knives, chocolate etc.)
Facts & Figures
General Information to Gornergrat Bahn
|Route:||Zermatt 1605 metres above sea level – Gornergrat 3089 metres a.s.l.|
|Route length:||9,339 km totally by cog wheel (Abt system) / dual track 3,790 km|
|Track gauge:||Metre-gauge railway (1000 mm) / (standard-gauge railway 1435 mm)|
|Number of passengers (2016):||1,600,000; 820,000 summer, 780,000 winter|
|Stations and stops:||5 (Findelbach, Riffelalp, Riffelberg, Rotenboden, Gornergrat)|
|Number of bridges:||2: Getwing Bridge (24 m) and Findelbach Viaduct (93 m) Longest / highest bridge: Findelbach Viaduct (93 m) / 2 piers in height: 49.8 + 48.8 metres Tunnels & galleries: 5: Gsäss tunnel (40 m); Bränfluh tunnel (58 m); Kühlerbrunnen tunnel (19 m); Land tunnel (179 m); Riffelbord gallery (792 m)|
|Longest tunnel:||Land tunnel (179 metres)|
|protection gallery:||Rotenboden-Riffelberg (792 metres)|
|Steepest slope:||200 ‰ (on average 185 ‰)|
|Travel duration:||33 minutes|
|Speed:||Uphill, maximum 30 km/h / Downhill, maximum 20-27 km/h.|
|Rolling stock:||12 twin railcars, 4 single railcars, 2 rotary snow ploughs, 4 freight wagons (flat wagon, tank wagon, crane wagon, service train, supply train)|
|Transport capacity:||Approx. 2400 people per hour in both directions|
|Electrification:||725 volt three-phase current, electrical traction since opening on 20.08.1898|
|Route sector openings:||20.08.1898 Zermatt – Gornergrat, Switzerland's first electric rack railway with a terminus at 3018 metres a.s.l.|
|1909||New terminus for the Gornergrat Bahn at 3089 metres a.s.l.|
|1910||Opening of the 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat|
|1929||Year-round operation of the Gornergrat Bahn|
|2001||Reopening of the Riffelalp tram to the Riffelalp resorts (Highest 2211 metres a.s.l. + shortest (675.31 m) tram route in Europe)|